The Nelson Christian Academy campus first began as the Nelson (Marsden Valley) Health Camp, opened in 1941:
Tucked away in the hills of Marsden Valley, far from the noise and rush of city life, is a small encampment, built in 1941 to accommodate children whose health necessitated special care. This is the King George V Memorial Health Camp and in it, during the summer months, groups of 24, either boys or girls, spend six weeks of healthful living. During those six weeks the children eat, play and sleep in a quiet and restful atmonphere and the regularity, along with the exercise and a diet designed for the needs of growing young bodies, works wonders. Finance to carry on this great humanitarian work is mainly provided by the sale of Health Stamps. Every one of us can aid this work by buying these stamps and by doing so we will help children like those we have photographed on these three pages. All the children, incidentally, are from North Island centres. Nelson district children will enter the camp later this summer.
Nelson Photo News - Edition No 37, 9th November 1963